Do you ever snap at an employee at work? (Or do you wait until you get home and take your stress out on your family?)
Are you struggling with turnover? Unable to motivate employees? Profits are down and stress is up? Are constant conflicts keeping you tied up in knots?
Time to hone up on your emotional intelligence skills! EQ determines how effectively we navigate stress, lead ourselves and others, and whether or not we're successful in our everyday interactions.
Estimated reading time: 5 minutes
Heartmanity is proud to partner with outstanding companies that we wholeheartedly recommend so this post may contain affiliate links. You can read our full disclosure here.
Table of Contents
What Does It Mean to Be an Emotionally Intelligent Leader?
What Are the Core Components of Emotional Intelligence?
The Best Emotional Intelligence Online Courses for the Workplace
Brain Fit for Work and Life | Amen University
Inspired Leadership with Emotional Intelligence | Coursera
Emotional Intelligence Masterclass | Positive Psychology
Emotional Intelligence for Leadership | Mindsight Academy
Empathy and Emotional Intelligence at Work | UC Berkeley
Why Is Emotional Intelligence Important in the Workplace?
Ways Emotional Intelligence Training Benefits You
Buyer's Guide: How We Conducted Our Research
Frequently Asked Questions
I’ve been training entrepreneurs, leaders and teams in emotional intelligence (or EQ) for over two decades. Many times, my clients—especially leaders—ask for additional ways to improve emotional intelligence in their leadership on their own. (CEOs even post my handouts at their desk!)
Often, managers get promoted because they're good at their jobs but they can really benefit from gaining EQ skills since managing people is so different than most other jobs. So whether you're a leader of a large corporation, a manager of a fast-growing cannabis company, or a start-up, there is no better investment than building emotional intelligence.
One of the best ways to enhance emotional intelligence skills is through online learning. Online courses allow you to learn and digest on your own schedule, at your own convenience and without any pressure. Another big reason I recommend them to people is because the tricky part about learning new EQ skills is application, which these courses help you to do.
What Does It Mean to Be an Emotionally Intelligent Leader?
The telltale signs of when a leader/manager/person has a high EQ are:
- great self-awareness
- admits mistakes easily
- can regulate their emotions
- navigates stress easily
- feels confident in life and work
- thinks and solves problems creatively, inviting others’ expertise
- knows how to empathize with an upset person
- can keep an eye on the important
- has a presence that inspires
- calmly handles mishaps instead of reacting
- sets healthy boundaries
These are just a few of the benefits of emotional intelligence in leadership or in the workplace. How many were you able to check?
Imagine how much easier—and more fun—work would be with these EQ skills in your back pocket!
Being emotionally intelligent means that your emotional quotient (EQ) is operating on all cylinders like a powerful V8 engine driving on the highway. Even though the engine is powerful, it can downshift for rough terrain and stop quickly when necessary. Learn to be a leader with power and flexibility!
You may already be aware of the five components of emotional intelligence, but let's recap them. Why? Because these are the areas that online courses will cover. It's helpful to know which of your skills need up-leveling.
What Are the Core Components of Emotional Intelligence?
- Social Skills
You could take years to learn the hard knocks way… or dive right into emotional intelligence training to give you all the nuts and bolts of success. Here's a chart for easy reference of the five components of EQ.
What Are the Best Emotional Intelligence Online Courses?
There are many emotional intelligence workshops and online courses—so how do you know how to pick the right one?
We’ve done the research for you!
We’ve compiled the best online emotional intelligence training for the workplace—leaders (and leaders in the making), managers, or even employees you feel need some soft skills. But really, anyone could greatly benefit from these courses! Mainly, it's about personal preference; you can't go wrong with any of these below!
Our Top Choices for EQ Online Courses
- Brain Fit for Work and Life | Amen University
- Inspiring Leadership through Emotional Intelligence | Coursera
- Emotional Intelligence Master Class | Positive Psychology
- Emotional Intelligence for Leadership |The Mindsight Academy
- Empathy and Emotional Intelligence at Work | UC Berkeley
While those names seem very similar to each other, these courses cover a variety of different aspects. Some more than others!
We think more companies should consider offering emotional intelligence training for their leadership and employees!
Goleman's statement above is a bold proclamation. In my work with companies, I've found this predictor to be true across the board.
So, what could be better than refining your employees' and leaders' people skills? They'll be more motivated and productive and a better team player. Those who have a higher EQ are able to navigate difficult conversations with ease, and recognize and utilize their strengths for the success of your company! All good things!
With these things in mind, let’s look at our first emotional intelligence online course.
Everything you'll need to make a smart decision:
- Key benefits
- Content topic
- Pros and cons
#1 - Brain Fit for Work & Life | Amen University
What makes a workplace feel like a home away from home? The people, of course! But if your colleagues are more miserable than not—or your employees seem high-strung without the ability to calm down—then the work environment may need some shaping.
Once you have a better understanding of how you and those around you think, you can tweak your culture yourself. The Brain Fit for Work and Life course makes it all the more possible!
In case, you didn't know, emotions are how the brain processes our experience and derives meaning in our lives. So even though this course is geared toward the brain, don't be fooled; taking it will dramatically grow your emotional intelligence!
Taught and guided by Amen University’s very own founder and oh-so-experienced, Dr. Daniel Amen! The crucial lessons are perfect for the beginner and advanced alike. As far as emotional intelligence courses go, this one is built for success!
Amy A. said it best in her review: “This series has been an eye-opener! I've already been on the road to health and wellness, but this event has me looking at brain health differently."
Brain health has never been easier to grasp! The content makes it a great starter course for employees in the workplace, without being too watered-down for more experienced EQ enthusiasts.
- 8 lessons revolving around all things brain fitness in only 3.5 hours.
- Actionable strategies for improving and navigating difficulties at work.
- Heavy focus on brain health and the link between the brain and nutrition.
You can expect to learn the following lessons in great detail:
- Lessons 1-2: Driving Change
- Lessons 3-4: 4 Circles of Brain Health
- Lessons 5-6: Lead by Example
- Lessons 7-8: Fuel High-Performance
With their focus on reaching a wider audience, Amen University has slashed their price from $399 to $149!
You’ll receive immediate access to the entire course after making this one-time payment.
Pros and Cons
- ACCESS: You’ll receive immediate access to all 8 lessons.
- LENGTH: The entire course is split across 3.5 hours - You could do them in a weekend!
- GUARANTEE: If you aren’t satisfied with the course, you can request a refund within 30 days of payment.
- PRICING: The price is higher than other options on this list—probably because it has so much brain science backing it!
Apparently, universities offer some of the best emotional intelligence certifications — Why else would UC Berkeley and, now, Case Western Reserve University be on this list?
Those who enroll in the Inspiring Leadership through Emotional Intelligence course will find themselves approaching the people around them with more mindfulness and compassion. Through reversing the damage caused by chronic stress—and tapping into positive emotions—they can work towards building better relationships at work.
This course shifts its focus predominantly to how EQ positively affects leadership, making it an excellent choice for emotional intelligence training for leaders.
While all of the courses are terrific options, not all of them have the level of reach that Coursera has.
The course features subtitles in 18 languages for greater accessibility worldwide. But, that’s not the only reason why so many people gravitate to this course, among others, from their catalog! Coursera also provides:
- A career certificate upon completion.
- 8 modules are delivered over the course of 8 weeks.
- Multiple quizzes and assessments across 19 hours of content.
Those eight modules are as relevant as they are engaging. See for yourself:
- Week 1: Resonant Leadership and the Neuroscience Behind It
- Week 2: Renewal As an Antidote to Chronic Stress
- Week 3: Emotional Intelligence and Its Link to Leadership
- Week 4: Inspiring and Motivating Sustained Development, Growth and Learning
- Week 5: Coaching with Compassion to Inspire Sustained Learning and Development & Peer Coaching
- Week 6: Inspiring Change through Hope and Vision
- Week 7: The Multilevel Nature of Sustained, Desired Change
- Week 8: The Real Self and Learning Agenda
You can enroll in this course for free. However, you are restricted from claiming your certificate at the end of the program until you upgrade.
To access the certificate and more—and depending on the nature of your enrollment—you might pay anywhere between $39.99 USD and $99.99 USD.
Start accessing your classes through Coursera’s quick registration process: Select the ‘Enroll for Free’ button to join the next available cohort.
Pros and Cons
- ACCESS: The free option allows you to access the course content.
- EASE OF USE: The course is hailed as beginner-friendly, so even the most baby-faced professional can learn the ropes of emotional intelligence.
- LENGTH: Modules border two hours long, so the length may be a dealbreaker.
- CONTENT: Some reviews found the course focused too much on the (neuro)science aspects of emotional intelligence — For context, other courses on this list focus on both the science and practicality of it all.
Don't miss our third pick, it's a wonderful, compact course: Positive Psychology’s Emotional Intelligence Masterclass. Just as noteworthy as the others, this course ticks the right boxes for all things intelligence, awareness and emotions.
Those who are passionate about these things tend to gain the most from this course. When you are interested in improving the lives around you, you find it easier to implement those same pillars into your own life — thus, tapping into the core parts of emotional intelligence. Although it is not specifically geared toward leadership, leadership is really about leading yourself!
Positive Psychology is approved by the American Psychological Association. That means they can—and do—sponsor continuing education for psychologists through their courses. This one is included!
If you are working in the healthcare or psychology sector, you’ll be happy to know that this course is accredited by the American Psychological Association. If you're a therapist or psychologist, this is a huge plus.
Once you’ve completed the course—and handed in all your graded assignments—you receive 9 course credits (CE) credits. Along with this, the course also grants you:
- Six modules loaded with all things EQ.
- A certificate of completion at the end of the course.
- A community section to interact with your fellow enrollees.
- Countless teaching materials including 20 PowerPoint presentations - if you’re inclined to pass this knowledge on to someone else!
Coupled with an extensive workbook and countless video lessons, the training is split across:
- Module 1: Emotions
- Module 2: Emotional Intelligence
- Module 3: Emotional Awareness
- Module 4: Beliefs About Emotions
- Module 5: Emotional Knowledge
- Module 6: Emotional Expression
You can claim the Emotional Intelligence Masterclass for a one-time payment of $750 USD. There are no free trials or payment plans available—not ideal, we know!
Once you’re ready to dive in, add the course to your cart and checkout using your credit card. After payment, you’ll receive access to the online learning environment. Complete this masterclass at your leisure!
ENROLL NOW - Become more emotionally intelligent!
Pros and Cons
- ACCESS: You receive lifetime updates after purchasing the course.
- ACCREDITATION: The course is recognized by the American Psychology Association.
- TRIALS: If you’d prefer to sample something before making a purchase, you may dislike the lack of free trials (or even installment plans). However, this is because their work is impeccable and high satisfaction.
- PRICING: The price is considerably high, compared to other options on this list. Again, high standards and thorough coverage warrant the price.
Don't hesitate, leap! Get your masterclass today!
Teams with higher engagement are 38% more likely to have above-average productivity. This is a fact that The Mindsight Academy knows all too well, which hints at why their course is a great option for emotional intelligence coaching certification.
Based on the instructor’s beliefs, this course is best suited for: senior leaders, early to mid-career managers, diverse team leaders, hospital clinical leads, hospital managers, pharmaceutical oversight directors and those who want to make their team more agile and adaptable.
If you align with any of those, then you’ll feel even more seen after checking out the benefits! The content gives you a renewed understanding of yourself and your peers so that you can better lead your team.
Not many online courses are accredited. Fortunately, the course’s Continuing Professional Development (CPD) certification is — and recognized internationally, at that! But, there’s even more to unpack:
- Monthly group coaching calls with the course creator and experts.
- Countless worksheets, exercises, activities and step-by-step tutorials.
- Access to the Limitless Leaders Community to meet other like-minded leads.
The 9 modules of interactive training give you a clear understanding of what you’re getting yourself into!
For context here is a visual to show some of the highlights:
- Module #1: Establishing High-Performance Leadership and Organizations
- Module #2: Why Does Emotional Intelligence Matter?
- Module #3: Self-Perception
- Module #4: Self-Management and Leadership
- Module #5: Social Awareness
- Module #6: Empathy, Resilience and Motivation
- Module #7: Relationship Management
- Module #8: The Emotionally Intelligent Leader
- Module #9: Entrepreneurial Leadership and EQ
The Mindsight Academy provides multiple payment plans along with a free trial.
You can view a portion of the course for free before making payment. Click the ‘Free Preview’ button to unlock a portion of the course.
For a one-time payment of $1,995 USD, you receive access to the entire course. If that seems like a huge investment upfront, don’t worry: They also offer payment plans! You can pick between 6 installments of $495 USD or 2 installments of $1,250 USD.
Once you select the payment plan of your choice (or Free Preview), sign up for the course and await a confirmation email from The Mindsight Academy team.
Pros and Cons
- CONTENT: The course is extremely thorough and in-depth. So, if you're looking for a comprehensive course, this one is it!
- ACCREDITATION: At the end, you’ll receive an internationally recognized certificate!
- GUARANTEE: If the course just isn’t for you, they offer a 14-day money-back guarantee.
- PAYMENT PLAN: If you want to spread out the investment, this option gives you the opportunity to purchase through the payment plans.
- PRICING: This course is priced higher than the other options on this list; however, for good reason.
- TIMELINE: Each module is drip-fed to you each week for 9 weeks. If you’d prefer to do the course all at once—maybe on a weekend when you’re free—this may not agree with you.
- REFUNDS: There are no refunds for those who purchase through the payment plans.
Don't wait to increase your effectiveness as a leader!
UC Berkeley is no stranger to explaining the science behind the way we feel. Their course, Empathy and Emotional Intelligence at Work is a testament to that! Don’t worry—you don’t have to enroll in university to access this top-tier training.
Some of the lessons target your empathic listening skills which already shows just how much you can take away from the training. Over 80,000 people are already enrolled in the upcoming cohort. We’re you'll love the perks of this course, too!
Empathy and Emotional Intelligence at Work has definitely earned its place on this list: We can thank UC Berkeley’s reputation for that. These are only a few of the perks of enrolling:
- A shareable certificate is available with the paid plan.
- 1-2 hours of lessons delivered weekly for over 4 weeks.
- Focused primarily on developing empathy, trust and innovation.
Here’s what else you can expect to learn from this course:
- Learn how to lead with social intelligence.
- Discover the psychological and biological roots of empathy, trust, and cooperation.
- Develop research-based strategies for strengthening empathy and resolving conflicts constructively.
- Understand how the skills of emotional and social intelligence support organizational happiness and productivity.
There are two options available: Audit Track and Verified Track.
The Audit Track is free with a catch — You’ll see why its limitations tend to inspire people to upgrade to the Verified Track.
The free option includes limited access to course material (about a month or so) and zero graded assignments/exams. You also won’t receive a shareable certificate.
For unlimited access to the course, you can opt into the Verified Track for a one-time payment of $199. With that sort of access, you also get your very own certificate.
Whichever option you pick, you can register for this course by selecting the Enroll Now button and signing up for an edX account.
Pros and Cons
- ACCESS: The free option actually offers access to plenty of learning content, despite its glaring limitations.
- CONTENT: If you’re all about lifelong learning, this course is a great segway into The Science of Happiness at Work Professional Certificate Program, which it’s also a part of.
- PRICING: $199 may seem steep compared to options #2 and #4.
- CONTENT: This course is not as comprehensive as the previously mentioned courses.
Why Emotional Intelligence Is Important in the Workplace?
Since emotional intelligence (EQ) is how aware you are of your and others' emotions, it's crucial in every interaction. If you're not emotionally literate, you'll miss opportunities to avert power struggles and conflicts; you'll personalize a stern look; your productivity will not be at its best if you do not know how to regulate yourself.
Someone quick to snap at their co-worker or show continual signs of frustration might need to grow their EQ muscles. Even though EQ is different than IQ, it can be measured by how well we identify, process, calm and express our emotions. Someone who can self-regulate would be on the lower emotional intelligence scale.
EQ also covers the way you approach tasks, make decisions, and communicate with others, among many other things.
The higher your emotional intelligence, the easier you’ll find it to recognize social cues and go about your day-to-day with ease and harmony. You'll be able to seamlessly navigate tense office meetings and bounce back with resiliency after a big push.
Bottomline: Being emotionally savvy leads to happier relationships, healthier work life, and greater success
Related Reading: Lead with Empathy and Emotional Intelligence to Boost Effective Communication
Ways Emotional Intelligence Training Benefits You?
This just in: People relate more to those who have high levels of emotional intelligence!
Why wouldn’t they?
People with high emotional intelligence show greater empathy, accept criticism graciously, make problem-solving look easy, are more fun to be with, and look out for creating win-win for everyone involved. With them, conversations are seamless and emotional outbursts are so low, they might as well be nonexistent.
If you want that for yourself, then it’s time to strengthen your EQ level. Consider taking emotional intelligence training—any of the courses we mentioned should do the trick!
Not ready to invest? Here are twenty great ways to raise your EQ below.
Buyers Guide: How We Conducted Our Study?
Emotional intelligence is an ongoing process, so taking an online course may already seem like a no-brainer for you! It may make it even easier to retain information and process your feelings.
Considering the wide array of competencies covered in emotional intelligence, we handpicked five of the best emotional intelligence training available online to save you time (and, in some cases, money)!
- Features: What do the modules cover that other courses don’t?
- Support: Do they offer a community with other trainees or experts?
- Certification: Is there proof that you completed the course? Is the course accredited?
- Pricing: How much does the course cost? Is there a free option or free trial available?
- Refunds: What are their policies on refunds or a money-back guarantee?
- Pros/Cons: Despite all the perks of taking an EQ course, what are some disadvantages of each one?
So much goes into the decision-making process of picking the best course for your current skill level and where you want to take your emotional intelligence. If you’re already convinced, great! If not, no worries: There’s more to learn about each option on the course page!
Emotional intelligence is how we feel our own emotions and understand the way others’ emotions impact us. Being an emotionally intelligent person does wonders for you, especially in the workplace.
Based on findings from the World Economic Forum, 90% of the top performers are high in emotional intelligence. Coincidentally, those people tend to make an average of $29,000 more than those with low emotional intelligence per year.
Our recommendations don’t stop here: There’s still one more card in our deck. Adding the Heartmanity blog to your arsenal.
Heartmanity is dedicated to the leaders, entrepreneurs, managers and working professionals who want to grow in their leadership, soft skills and learn to lead themselves mentally, emotionally, professionally, or influentially (in how they interact with others). So, basically, someone like you!
The best part? We don’t mind letting you pick our brains for even more answers. Drop us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule a one-on-one consultation with someone from our team. Could an emotional intelligence coach be more your speed?
It’s never too late to strengthen your growth mindset. End this season as an even more emotionally adept person.
Frequently Asked Questions:
How to Use Emotional Intelligence in the Workplace?
In some ways, asking this question is like asking a fish why they swim in water. Emotional intelligence is such a critical skill set that it's a wonder any company survives without it!
But back to your question: how to use EQ in the workplace? Below are a dozen ways that I've taught employees, managers, leaders and customer service to use emotional intelligence in everyday work life.
- Staying calm when another employee gets defensive or redirecting an unhelpful conversation.
- Successfully navigating conflicts and negotiations.
- Adapting easily to change, even abrupt change.
- Intentionally being mindful in your interactions with employees.
- Focusing on and integrating insight and people skills into hiring practices.
- Better listening skills that create effective communication company-wide.
- Expressing empathy to diffuse intense emotional outbursts of employees or irate customers.
- Leading from the inside out; trusting intuition and capitalizing on the wisdom of emotions while utilizing logic and reason.
- Greater collaboration and synergy in a company culture.
- Arresting workplace drama with authentic communication.
- Showing compassion for employees' losses.
- Setting healthy boundaries to safeguard your effectiveness.
Schedule a one-on-one call directly at 406-577-2100. Or send us an email at email@example.com for a more personalized look at your goals and how we might support you.